Giantpie
Giantpie

Giantpie

Postby Giantpie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 am

As most of you know I kind of dropped off of the WoW radar around 5 months ago, without so much as a goodbye or a thankyou which was completely wrong, rude and ignorant on my part, what you wont know is my reason for being the way I was.

This time last year I made the life changing decision to leave a career I was comfortable in, good at and well respected by my peers, subordinates and commanders. My 'masterplan' involved leaving said career to go to College in order to eventually go to University.

While at College I met an amazing young woman and eventually did the unlikely and fell for her. Having spent the better part of a decade keeping people at arms reach I decided I'd open up to her and tell her things about me that no one else,not even family, knew about me.

She knew what I'd sacrificed to have a try at college, including a massive pay cut and that my lifes prospects were riding on my College course. This didn't stop her from manipulating me, using me and eventually telling me by a text message 2 days before my Birthday, 5 days before Xmas and 2 weeks before my exams started that we were done.

Basically I was completely devastated,upset,angry, all that good stuff. I eventually failed my exams as I couldn't concentrate and ended up failing at College leading to 4-5 months of serious depression.

I still feel like shit now but I'm coping. The reason I ignored any attempt to contact me was a result of when I first tried to talk to someone about my depression,that person being my old man, his response was to tell me to 'man up' and to keep everything to myself as I was upsetting the people around me which I did to the point of breaking down at home.

I'm not after any sympathy as like I said, I'm coping. I met some amazing people in WST and feel like shit that I left the way I did. After a 4 month break I'm now starting fresh back on Aggramar hoping that WoW no longer reminds me of the bad times and hopefully I can concentrate on the good times and the future!

Apologies to everyone, especially Mel for the way I acted.

Much love,

Pie

Korr
Korr

Re: Giantpie

Postby Korr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Pie, all I'll say is, I know completely how much of an unending pit depression really is. "Manning up" and keeping it to yourself is the worst possible thing anyone can do. Basically, I understand and we're all just glad to hear from you.

Giantpie
Giantpie

Postby Giantpie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Cheers Korr, I went months without talking about it, A mate realised what was going on and took me out for a few beers and a chin wag then things started moving forward. I'm still stuck in a rut but I now know I need a new job and I need to get back to College as soon as I can afford it.

Crosshaired
Crosshaired

Postby Crosshaired » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:40 pm

Good to hear from you Giantpie!
Great to hear that you are alive, and I am really impressed by your openess in your post. It takes real courage to do that.

If you ever need anyone to talk to, even if it just in writing, I do counselling as part of my work, and would be happy to help in any way I can.

The most important thing, for now, is that you seem to be doing better.

I, and a lot of others, am very glad to hear from you!
112,4 % perfect.

NatriumWST
Mafioso
NatriumWST

Postby NatriumWST » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:53 pm

Good to read you Pie :). Sincerly hope you sort your life very very soon. And never forget you will always have a family and friends at WST :)

Hope to see you soon

Nat
Since Oct 20, 2005!

Pintguinness
Pintguinness

Postby Pintguinness » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:14 pm

oh hello, Always good to hear back from ppl who left, some just like u write it after months and it thoke some guts to do so in ur case.

Id like to add like Korry said that keep all for urself isnt good. I had a depression and when i started talking it went a litle better. so ur friend is a good idea to talk, ask him if u can call him if u have something in mind, it helps alot.

an old college of mine calls me sometimes with his things and we just talk.
Melandroso wrote:There are rumours, too horrible to share... whispers... out of legend.

Giantpie
Giantpie

Postby Giantpie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Cheers for the offer Cross, after months of feeling down I eventually spoke to someone who had an unbiased opinion and they told me what I already knew, but needed to know from someone else which helped so much.

Cheers Nat, There's no other guild I'd want to join and with Mels' blessing I'll write an application the first chance I get. I've missed my time on WoW and I've missed WST too :)

Giggs
Guild Master
Giggs

Postby Giggs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:18 pm

It takes a lot of courage to come out of something like that. Those things define and shape us. Getting out of depression takes a lot of bravery and understanding ourselves. I'm glad you're getting your own life back, and I hope you succeed in everything. From us here, may you find some solace and comfort, even if it's just among fake pixels.

All the best :)
There is no button.

Khmiimkhakk
Mafioso
Khmiimkhakk

Postby Khmiimkhakk » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Doing what you just did is more of a "man-up" than any "stiff upper lipping", so you can ignore any rot your father has told you.

You WILL get over it and in your own terms; we're here to help you in our own modest way.

Bottom's up!

Mel
Mel

Postby Mel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Hey Giant. I am saddened to hear that you have been through such rough times. I can understand why being polite to people in your favourite online community was not at the top of your list of priorities.

And it is good to hear from you again, and in particular to hear that you are better. I am a little humbled that you ask for my acceptance specifically, but it tells me that you know that you pissed me off - and you are sorry for it. I appreciate that. It worries me when people leave like that - and it hurts. But I understand completely - thanks for explaining and apologizing - and I'd of course be happy to see you apply and to see you in game as well (once I get back from vacation).

Hope everything works out for you in "real life" too.

Hugs,
Mel
---------------------------

Happiness IS mandatory

Login  •  Register